The UMC in Poland was established in 1920, as a result of missionary and humanitarian activities planned by The Episcopal Methodist Church, South (USA). During the years of Nazism (1939-1945) and Communism (1945-1989), the attitude of both regimes towards the UMC was ambivalent, which at least allowed its continued existence. Even so, the UMC was hit hard withthe nationalization of church buildings. Today, great importance is placed upon ministries with children, youth, and women. A far-reaching radio and television ministry is another priority for the UMC. At various places social service ministries have been established (e.g. «Step to Hope» focusing on addicted people and their families as well as on people affected by domestic violence). A theological seminary contributes to the education of the leaders of these ministries. On the other hand, the church is challenged by migration (many young and well-educated people leave the country) and by the fact that a number of church buildings are in urgent need of renovation and improvement. The UMC in Poland is working hard on building bridges and on developing a common Christian witness with many other churches in Poland. Thanks to this credible service in society and in interdenominational relations, the UMC is – at least in most of the larger cities – a recognized and appreciated church.
Population: 37.9 millions
Area: 312,685 km2
Religion: Roman-Catholic (95%)
UMC Churches: 38
Professing members: 2,120
Active Clergy: 26
There are not many United Methodist church buildings that are older than 600 years. But in Glaznoty, in the northern part of Poland, there is one. And it is not only a historical building but a place where new expressions of church can be experienced.
At the 2019 meeting of Poland Annual Conference, historical decisions were taken in regard to the ordination of women.
The 97thgathering of the Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church in Poland took place from June 14-17, 2018, in Kraplewo.
At the end of December 2017, Jadwiga Bogucka-Regulska was carried to her grave on the Brodnowski Cemetery in Warsaw. She was not only a very committed member of Good Shepherd UMC in Warsaw – she was also one of the last surviving inmates of the concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau.