The UMC in Poland was established in 1920, as a result of missionary and humanitarian activities planned by The Episcopal Methodist Church, South (USA).
During the years of Nazism (1939-1945) and Communism (1945-1989), the attitude of both regimes towards the UMC was ambivalent, which at least allowed its continued existence. Even so, the UMC was hit hard with the nationalization of church buildings.
Today, great importance is placed upon ministries with children, youth, and women. A far-reaching radio and television ministry is another priority for the UMC. At various places social service ministries have been established (e.g. «Step to Hope» focusing on addicted people and their families as well as on people affected by domestic violence).
A theological seminary contributes to the education of the leaders of these ministries.
On the other hand the church is challenged by migration (many young and well-educated people leave the country) and by the fact that a number of church buildings are in urgent need of renovation and improvement.
The UMC in Poland is working hard on building bridges and on developing a common Christian witness with many other churches in Poland. Thanks to this credible service in the society and in interdenominational relations the UMC is – at least in most of the larger cities – a recognized and appreciated church.
Population: 38.5 millions
Area: 312,685 km2
UM congregations: 37
Professing members: 2,118
Active Clergy: 24
At the end of December 2017, Jadwiga Bogucka-Regulska was carried to her grave on the Brodnowski Cemetery in Warsaw. She was not only a very committed member of Good Shepherd UMC in Warsaw – she was also one of the last surviving inmates of the concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau.